This week, a team of Missourians will travel to Washington DC to participate in the Afterschool for All Challenge. The Challenge is an annual event that brings advocates from all 50 states to the nation’s capital to share with legislators the importance and value of afterschool for youth, families, and communities.
Missouri is proud this year to have Maya Irvine participating as one of only five youth selected nationwide as part of the Afterschool Alliance’s Youth Ambassador program.
Even if you aren’t able to travel to DC, there are many ways you can participate in the Challenge from home.
- Call your Congressman/woman or Senators’ offices and set up an time to meet with district staff to talk about your program; or invite them out for a site visit!
- Participate in the Challenge via Social Media
- Contact Congress on April 19 when the team of Missourians are making their office visits. Use this tool from the Afterschool Alliance to make it easy!
Sample Social Media Posts
- “Thanks, @RoyBlunt for supporting #21CCLC in FY18. Now, please ensure strong support continues in the FY19 budget #AfterschoolWorks”
- “Just called Senator @clairecmc’s office to voice support for the #21CCLC program. #AfterschoolWorks for youth, families and communities throughout Missouri!”
- “We know #AfterschoolWorks and today we’re sharing with our legislators as part of the #A4AChallenge”
The Afterschool Alliance also has this great social media toolkit to help you make the most of the day.
Twitter Handles for Missouri Delegation
- Senator Blunt: @RoyBlunt
- Senator McCaskill: @Clairecmc
- Congressman Lacy Clay (District 1): @LacyClayMO1
- Congresswoman Ann Wagner (District 2): @RepAnnWagner
- Congressman Blaine Luetkemeyer (District 3): @RepBlainePress
- Congresswoman Vicky Harztler (District 4): @RepHartzler
- Congressman Emanuel Cleaver (District 5): @RepCleaver
- Congressman Sam Graves (District 6): @RepSamGraves
- Congressman Billy Long (District 7): @USRepLong
- Congressman Jason Smith (District 8): @JasonSmithMO
We hope that whether you’re joining the team in DC or helping back here in Missouri, you will join voices from across the country this week to let our legislators know that Afterschool Works for Missouri!