Have you ever been interested in learning more about communicating the afterschool message? Do you want to work with MASN to fight for stronger local, state and federal policies to support afterschool and summer learning programs?
The Afterschool Ambassador program is a unique opportunity to hone your advocacy and communication skills while working for a cause that we all love–afterschool programs!
The Missouri Afterschool Network (MASN) is pleased to announce that we are currently accepting applications for our second cohort of Afterschool Ambassadors for the 2016-2017 school year.
Purpose: The Afterschool Ambassador program was founded out of the work of the MASN Public Policy and Advocacy committee. The goal of the program is to empower and enable up-and-coming leaders in the field of afterschool to spread the message of the importance and value of afterschool programs for youth, families, and communities across the state of Missouri.
July 22-August 22: Applications accepted for the 2016-2017 Cohort
August 29, 2016: MASN announces 2016-2017 Ambassador Cohort
September 2016-August 2017: Term of service for Ambassador
There will be 10 ambassador slots available, up to 4 of which can be filled by ambassador mentors. Participants have the opportunity to participate as an ambassador for up to 2 years, and if invited, can serve as an ambassador mentor for up to 2 years. Selections will be made based on qualifications and interest, and the selection committee will also try to ensure geographical coverage of the state. To apply to be an ambassador, please complete the attached application, or visit the SurveyMonkey link (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/1617AmbassadorApp) to complete it online.
Some of the activities that will take place throughout the program include:
- Ambassadors will attend a one-day intensive training related to advocacy, media relations, and building relationships with policymakers in September 2016 (mileage reimbursed and lunch provided).
- Ambassadors will participate in monthly conference calls that include topical webinars, update calls during the legislative session, and individual calls to support ambassadors in their local/regional work.
- Ambassadors will work to build relationships with local and state elected officials through email or phone communication, social media or face-to-face meetings throughout the year.
- Ambassadors will commit to one policymaker engagement project, such as:
- Hosting a regional Lights On or training event
- Hosting a legislative site visit to your program
- Making a legislative visit to the Capitol during session (ex. Missouri Child Advocacy Day)
- Hosting a local forum or summit to discuss afterschool in your region
Ambassadors are also welcome and strongly encouraged to attend other MASN events throughout the year, including:
- MASN’s quarterly committee meetings
- MASN’s Celebration of Afterschool (Ambassadors recognized at the spring event)
For more information or questions about the program, please contact Casey Hanson, Policy and Communications Coordinator, at email@example.com or (573) 882-9665.
Click here to apply online, or download a PDF version of the application here.