It’s October, which brings about crisp weather, falling leaves, and our favorite celebration of the year–Lights On Afterschool!
Lights On Afterschool is an annual nationwide celebration where millions of people around the country join together to shine light on the important role afterschool programs play in keeping youth safe, helping working families, and expanding learning outside of the classroom. The Afterschool Alliance founded this event, and has an abundance of resources to help programs join in the festivities. Visit their website here for resources for making your event a success, and to register your event! Last year, we had 290 events registered in Missouri. This year, we hope to exceed 300 events to help highlight more of the amazing programs we work with every day.
Regional Lights On Afterschool Summits
This year, MASN will also be hosting two regional summits to bring together policymakers, community leaders, business partners, and other interested stakeholders to highlight the value and importance of afterschool programs for youth and their families, and to discuss what is needed in terms of programs, policies, and partnerships to increase access to high-quality out-of-school time opportunities for all Missouri youth. We invite all interested stakeholders to register and attend a regional summit near you. Visit our website here, or see the event details below for more information.
#MOLightsOn Contests-Join the celebration and win!
We are bringing back the #MOLightsOn contest, to encourage programs and individuals to share their support for programs and their Lights On Afterschool celebrations. To enter the individual contest, there are three simple steps to follow:
- Print the sign below, or by downloading the PDF here.
- Write or draw why you support afterschool programs in Missouri.
- Upload your picture to Facebook or Twitter and using the #MOLightsOn hashtag.
1 tagged photo=1 entry
To enter the program contest, there are two simple steps to follow:
- Host or attend a Lights On Afterschool event!
- Take a picture from the event and upload it to Facebook or Twitter, using the #MOLightsOn hashtag. Include some event details like: Name and location of the program, age group of youth, who attended? (parents, legislators, teachers, etc), and what did you to celebrate?
1 photo per event=1 entry
Entries to both contests will be accepted from October 10 to October 28, 2016.
Winners will receive recognition online and some new afterschool swag to keep the #LightsOnAfterschool year round.